Author Topic: Partial Solar Eclipse 20 March  (Read 1070 times)

charles

• View Profile
Partial Solar Eclipse 20 March
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
The weather started off grey today here in Bath, but thin patches began to appear in the clouds after 9, and we began to get glimpses of the sun at close to maximum from 9.10 onwards. In some ways the cloud added to the interest, and it certainly helped with photography, but it made it tricky to observe effectively and safely. By maximum the diminished light was obvious, and bird life was reacting to the odd lighting. As maximum passed, the sky cleared, and I was able to watch the closing stages through my H Alpha solarscope. There were a few prominences on the sun's eastern limb, and I think I  saw one pop back into view about 20  seconds after the moon had uncovered the whole of the photosphere, and then moved beyond the chromosphere, too.

tonys

• View Profile
Re: Partial Solar Eclipse 20 March
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
I got good views through thin cloud using my binoculars with home-made solar filters.  This showed a noticeable sunspot, visible when the cloud had thinned and the eclipse was over, towards the 10 o'clock direction from the centre.  But those of you with solar telescopes might have seen more.