Author Topic: Bath Astronomers Open Observing Night Sunday 28 Dec  (Read 1234 times)

charles

• View Profile
Bath Astronomers Open Observing Night Sunday 28 Dec
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »

We are planning an open observing session at the Wellow site this coming Sunday, Dec 28, from 8pm. We hope to observe the Moon, Uranus, the Orion Nebula, some galaxies and star clusters, and maybe Jupiter later in the evening. Visitors welcome on the usual basis as set out on the observing page. Bring your own telescope if you have one - and/or binoculars - but don't worry if you don't as you will be able to look through other telescopes there. The forecast for Sunday is for clear skies, but cold, so wrap up well!
I will put a confirmation posting here on Sunday at around 6pm after a last minute weather check.

charles

• View Profile
Re: Bath Astronomers Open Observing Night Sunday 28 Dec
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
First - apologies to anyone who waited for the 6pm weather confirmation that I promised - I sent out a positive one to the email list, but forgot to also post it here :-[
But I don't think many were put off, as we had about 30 visitors, including several families with young children, and a total of about 7 telescopes at one stage. The Moon was popular as always; a lot of people saw Uranus for the first time; and winter sights such as the Pleiades and M42 were admired, and later on people enjoyed good views of Jupiter. In between we looked at the Auriga open clusters; as well as M1 and M32. It was very cold as forecast, and diagonal dewing and eyepiece misting became increasingly problematic as the evening went on - not to mention cold extremeties.
We had very positive feedback from the visitors, and helped some of them get their own telescopes going. One little girl was reported as saying she had had the best day of her life!

aashwin

• View Profile
Re: Bath Astronomers Open Observing Night Sunday 28 Dec
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the summary Charles. It was a fantastic night and hopefully we can keep up this momentum in 2015!